Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Artist

I had been reflecting on why I  enjoyed the pay-it-forward  gift idea so much .  Why it resonated so much with me.   Here are some things I came up with:

Some people are gift givers by nature.  They love people , or they respect their art, and so they give.  Not for an ulteriour motive, but because it gives them joy.  Other people might need to consider the economic benefits first.  People want to know what's in it for them.  People who believe there" ain't no such thing as a free lunch and "every man for himself".    They are unable to give a true gift. .  They want something in return.  They want security or cash or both.  They haven't found the artist in themselves.

An artist knows that he is the source of his own inspiration, even if someone copies or takes his ideas, he is fine, becuase he will find another idea.   I believe true art is scarce , and in turn creates value.   
Some people think that you can't be generous until after you become a success.  They argue that they have to have theirs and then they can go ahead and give back.  An interesting fact is that the most successful people in the world are those who don't do it for money.  

Knitting for me is a way that a share my "art" . I have used other mediums over the years.  I know there are many other ways that I share myself, and that is an art in itself,  because I can   and want to, it is a selfish motive and but in this one everyone wins. 

Of course you can give someone a gift  and not have them react in a way you expect.   But when you give someone a gift   purely for them with no agenda it takes the pressure off in receiving and and there is great excitement and joy.

Now for a great master piece that's hard to duplicate.



Alice xox

No comments:

Post a Comment